The process of cutting and shaping metal alloys to derive metal components to be used in huge machineries and structures is termed ‘metal stamping’. Just like regularly used pans and cans, metal sheets can be molded into desired shapes. For metal stamping, the most commonly used metal alloys include steel, zinc, aluminum, titanium, etc. This is a most commonly employed method as it is very cost-effective and productive.
Below is the brief on each and every step involved in metal stamping:
- The actual process of metal stamping involves placing the metal alloy in a die or press tool which will have a design cavity. It is this design cavity that helps giving the desired or pre-determined shape in the end product.
- The upper and lower part of the die or press gets in contact with each other to bring the final shape.
- The metal is then plated with other metal alloys like palladium, nickel or gold which helps prevent corrosion. Such plating will also enhance the overall nature and quality of the product.
- In few cases, the metal is pre-plated before the actual process of metal stamping. At last, the metal product is cleaned and it gets rid of any oil present in it.
- During the entire course of metal stamping process, the metal becomes soft. Hence, step is taken to make it stronger by treating it with heat.
- After these stages, the metal will have its edges sharp. This has to be removed. It is done by deburring process.
- In addition to the above steps, metal stamping also includes metalworking like piercing, blanking, etc.
Types of metal stamping process:
Metal stamping process usually involves force and speed at specific levels. It requires precise pressing that gives out the desired shape. This process is done in two major types:
Such metal stamping presses are available in different sizes, stroke lengths, functioning speed and capacities.
Benefits of metal stamping process:
There have been varied methods followed in earlier days to design a metal component include:
- Die casting
- Deep drawn stamping
- Electronic stamping
- Four slide stamping
- Medical stamping
- Progressive die stamping
However, in the recent years, these conventional methods are replaced by metal stamping. This serves as the contemporary procedure for manufacturing metal products. Underlying reason behind the unanimous use of metal stamping is the very low cost involved in it. This is in turn because of the cheaper rate of die used in metal stamping.
Additionally, one more feature included in this is that the metals used for metal stamping are harder compared to the ones used in other processes. This obviously gives to a better and stronger end product which is one firm reason for the increasing popularity of metal stamping. Furthermore, the cost involved in cleaning and plating are also comparatively lower in metal stamping process.